by: anonymous_user - 3rd March 2008

• 1Aprés Ski
  • 3Terrain Park
  • Overall Value

Full review

I've skied regularly at Mt. Hood Meadows since 1995. Great terrain with super deep snowpacks (most years), phenomenal views on clear days. Powder here is rarely of the quality of the Rockies, usually much more water content, but lots of fun. Lately the grooming doesn't seem as zealous as in years past, leaving some slopes with moguls to play on. I really wish the management would get its act together when it comes to opening terrain and lifts more quickly after a fresh dump of the white stuff. Heather Canyon is their best terrain if you like big steeps, but it seems to take them forever to open it. Their highest lift, Cascade Express, has been painfully slow to open almost every time I've been this year. If you ever have to park in the Annex parking lot, be ready for a long time between lining up for the shuttle bus and getting to the main lodge. The buses don't have exterior racks for skis and boards so everyone gets on the bus hefting all their equipment. Instead of seating people from back to front, people pile up in this huge bottleneck by everyone grabbing the first available seat while trying to squeeze their gear into it with them. Then sometimes the bus can't easily make the turns around parked cars because of the way the parking staff directed parking. I've seen this one mile shuttle take almost an hour from start of boarding to arrival at the lodge. There's no excuse for this. Also, if you ever buy a season pass from them online, print out everything including the confirmation email. I just printed out the web page that has a button on it that says "Print this Page" and says "Please print this page and present as confirmation to pick up your pass". When I presented this to a worker at a ticket window he told me that I printed the wrong page, even though my page says that it's the confirmation page. After several minutes of arguing, because I wasn't about to wait in another line for 20 minutes, his boss gave me a day pass and apologized for the problem. But what a hassle! Bottom line is that Mt. Hood Meadows has the best variety of terrain on Mt. Hood, but after 40 years of running a ski resort they still can't figure out how to run it well.