Winter has fired another salvo at Colorado. Early-season snow bases at Colorado ski areas have deepened thanks to a winter storm that entered the state late Tuesday night and persisted through Thursday. The heaviest snow hit southwestern and western Colorado Wednesday.
Wolf Creek Ski Area reported 19 inches of fresh powder from the storm. Beaver Creek reported 13 inches and Telluride reported a foot of new snow. Check the Colorado Snow Report for all ski area reports.
Most Colorado ski areas received measurable snow as the storm moved across the state and the winds shifted to the west-northwest during the day Thursday. Snow tapered off Thursday night as the storm moved east. Snowmaking conditions should remain good with cold temperatures in the wake of the storm.
The next chance for measurable snow accumulation is late Monday night. Check OnTheSnow's Snow Before You Go forecast by Meteorologist Chris Tomer.
Wolf Creek Ski Area opened with limited operations October 31 and is scheduled to reopen Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Wolf Creek will be closed Monday, Nov. 9 and Tuesday, Nov. 10, but will be open seven days a week starting Wednesday, Nov. 11.
Lots of fresh snow and high winds will greatly elevate avalanche danger. Check the zone forecasts at Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC) before heading into the backcountry. According to the CAIC, since 1950-51, about 10 percent of Colorado’s avalanche fatalities have occurred in November, and most avalanches occur during or right after storms.
Planned Colorado Ski Area Openings in November
This early November storm combined with favorable snowmaking will help other Colorado ski areas prepare for opening days this month.
- Keystone Resort – November 6
- Breckenridge Ski Resort – November 13
- Copper Mountain – November 13
- Winter Park Resort - November 18
- Eldora Mountain Resort – November 20
- Purgatory Resort – November 20
- Vail Mountain Resort – November 20
- Beaver Creek Mountain – November 25
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort – November 25 (everyone skis and rides for free)
- Steamboat Resort – November 25 (Scholarship Day traditional opending day benefit)
- Aspen Snowmass – November 26
- Telluride Ski Resort – November 26